Help with a Palomar 225

This is the forum for asking questions about linear amplifiers or power supplies.
Tdog
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Help with a Palomar 225

Post by Tdog »

Hey guys, I am having a weird problem with this Palomar 225 amp I just picked up. When I connect my radio to the amp, meter and then the antenna I get about 2s units less of receive and output power of my radio is very low...Below 1 watt. Doesn't matter if amp is on or off. Same problem. When My radio is hooked up to my meter and then the antenna I show full 5 watts output power and my receive is back to normal and 2s units better than when the amp is hooked up. When the amp is turned on it functions, but with very low output power. Max is like 30 watts on high. The pre amp works. When I purchased it one of the resistors was burned up. Its located directly after the 2 ceramic caps from the xmtr input line. I replaced it with a comparable resistor(15ohm 1/2 watt) , but that did not fix the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
"NoBody Said it would be Easy!"
Tdog
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Tdog »

This is a picture of the inside of the amp and there is an arrow next to the resistor that was blown. The New resistor gets really hot when Transmitting even for very short periods of time.
[ external image ]
Tdog
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Tdog »

Can Anyone help with this one?
Tin_Cup
4 PILL USER
4 PILL USER

Post by Tin_Cup »

Wish I could help, but I can't solve mine either.
It draws power even in the OFF position. Sucked a truck battery dry one day this winter.
When it's turned on, it super-heats the entire chassis!
My solution? Ordered another amp.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. Benjamin Franklin
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Post by 9604 »

I know this thread is dead, and ancient, but did you ever figure out what was wrong with your Palomar? I'm having the same issue with one I got given to me, and would like to know if, and what your solution was.
Verified
Owner
Owner

Post by »

9604 wrote: January 18th, 2023, 8:27 pm I know this thread is dead, and ancient, but did you ever figure out what was wrong with your Palomar? I'm having the same issue with one I got given to me, and would like to know if, and what your solution was.
Hi @9604.

@Tdog hasn't been active since August 23rd, 2011, 6:56 pm. I doubt you'll get a response from him.

Donate here