Stryker 490hp

This forum is intended for asking any other technical questions that you cannot find answers to in the other forums.
Chevyboy89
NEW DUCK
NEW DUCK

Stryker 490hp

Post by Chevyboy89 »

Hello all, new user here from the Bluegrass state with a odd problem. I was given a 490 Stryker still in the box by a family member who doesn't use any form of cb, how he got it I'll never know. While in use I noticed when I talked the meter will stop swinging and I'm no longer able to hear the Roger beep through the TalkBack speaker. I can cycle the power once or sometimes many and it might work for 3-4 minutes and will stop swinging mid conversation. What could the problem be? My standing wave is below 1.5 on 1 and 40. I appreciate any and all help.
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck

Post by 443 Arizona »

second hand radios can have problems , take off the covers and blow it out, or maybe the mic itself has a problem, or broken wire,
what do your contacts say they hear? check the ant for a broke wire, and the co-ax too.
intermittent also makes me think of a heat problem on a part. at that point you should take it to a radio repairman,
after re-reading this, i have to say, take it to a repairman because most strykers i have seen get abused, tweeked to their limit, and fry something.
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Those radios were prone to cold solder joints, most likely the case. there is a tip on how to find them, hook the radio up to a PS and dummy load or antenna, remove the cover on the solder side of the board, with the eraser of a pencil touch around the board at the solder, if the radio blinks on you found it. The other is like 443 says, take it to a tech, he probably knows exactly where to look.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department