Pickup antenna help

This is the place to post your general tips or ask questions about your installation, whether it's for mobile or base stations.
manveru
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Pickup antenna help

Post by manveru »

Trying to decide which antenna would be best for my pickup, a 102 off the right rear of the pickup bed, or a wilson magnet mount ontop of the cab. My pickup also has a fiberglass campershell if that makes a difference, thanks
Verified
Owner
Owner

Post by »

Hey, @manveru

The best CB radio antenna for your pickup will depend on a few factors, including the size of your truck, the type of antenna you want, and your budget.

A 102" whip antenna is a good option if you want the best possible performance. It will give you the longest range and the best reception. However, it is also the most expensive option and it will require drilling a hole in your truck bed. I actually drilled a hole through my cab on my Chevy Silverado 1500 and installed a 102-inch steel whip antenna.

A Wilson magnet mount antenna is a more affordable option and it is easier to install. It will not give you as much range or reception as a 102" whip antenna, but it will still be a good option for most people.

If you have a fiberglass campershell, you will need to make sure that the antenna you choose is compatible with it. Some antennas are not designed to work with fiberglass and they can damage the campershell. Make sure that you do not install the mount on the fiberglass.

Here is a more detailed comparison of the two options:

102" Whip Antenna

Pros:
  • Best possible performance
  • Long range
  • Good reception
Cons:
  • Expensive
  • Requires drilling a hole in the truck bed
Wilson Magnet Mount Antenna

Pros:
  • Affordable
  • Easy to install
  • Does not require drilling
  • Using a magnet mount antenna on top of your cab would make your CB radio omnidirectional.
Cons:
  • Not as good performance as a 102" whip antenna
  • May not be compatible with fiberglass campershells
Ultimately, the best way to decide which antenna is right for you is to try both and see which one you like better. You can often find antennas at local truck stops or CB radio shops. You can also order them online.

Here are some additional tips for choosing a CB radio antenna:
  • Consider the size of your truck. A larger truck will require a larger antenna.
  • Think about the type of antenna you want. There are two main types of CB radio antennas: whip antennas and magnet mount antennas. Whip antennas are the most common type of antenna and they offer the best performance. Magnet mount antennas are easier to install and they are less expensive, but they do not offer as much performance as whip antennas.
  • Make sure the antenna is compatible with your CB radio. Not all antennas are compatible with all CB radios.
  • Read reviews before you buy an antenna. This will help you get a good idea of what other people think of the antenna.
I hope this helps!

Donate here

MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

I run a 102” whip on the left rear of my pickup, works fine, I picked the left side so it doesn’t bang low hanging trees which are usually lower on the right side of roadways. If you go with a magnet mount, there are several decent brands, I like the Sirio and Stryker models.

3’s

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department