good deeds done using CB

This forum is for general discussions, and you are welcome to post in this forum if you are not able to find the right place.
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck

good deeds done using CB

Post by 443 Arizona »

hey guys, :-) in response to WW's post about getting in trouble with CB's, :eek:
I thought I would ask about all the good deed's and saved tail :shock: results from using a CB.
Mentor3006
Donor
Donor

Post by Mentor3006 »

Okay, fair enough.

In the 90s, when I was in college, I was actively involved in the local radio club. I was chatting with a friend of mine who is also a HAM, mind you this was before everyone had a cell phone.

I was en route to my afternoon classes after working in the morning. Chatting with my ham friend on our local channel, I took a fairly rural route on the way I came across a minivan that had overturned in a ditch. (Ford Aerostar for anyone curious). I pulled over and was able to assist the driver out of the van, but was not able to get to her kid in the back, but verified the child was okay, just scared. The driver however had a nasty cut on her forehead. I dug my first aid kit out, she was able to manage to clean and hold a clean gauze compress on it...

I got back on the radio, and told my friend the situation, he was able to get on his 2M, hit the telephone relay and call 911 and report the accident and the status of the occupants of the vehicle.

No idea what happened after the ambulance took off. The PD took my info as a witness to at least the aftermath, never heard anything about it, that was in, well had to be 1996 - 1999.
Coils = loss.
Good audio, Quality coax, sturdy mounts, good springs, and a big stainless stick get you out and give you ears!
Mobile 1:President McKinley II FCC, Realistic 102" SS whip, President DigiMike
Mobile 2:Same as 1 but with a WIlson 1000.
Base: Realistic TRC-465 with Realistic noise cancelling power mic. 102" SS whip.
De_Wildfire
Donor
Donor

Post by De_Wildfire »

Fair enough too. Back in the day when I was on the highways more, I used to warn all the truckers of accidents so they can find new routes. I also warned all the truckers of all the bubble gum machines hiding on the interstates.
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck

Post by 443 Arizona »

yea spotting the Kojak with the Kodak was probably one of the biggest reasons CB took off like it did, and still to this day when i travel i always use a CB
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

Back in the day I was a volunteer fireman at a local county firehouse, we had a great CB setup there and hosted quite a few "coffee breaks", the station was right off I-695. We per say were the "angels " that went out for those to help with any situation from accidents to flats to mothers to be soon!!

I would like to see something like React started again.

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department
Windwalker
Verified

Post by Windwalker »

Once again in my younger day I was going down the freeway and I heard a Truck Driver who had gotten something in his eyes. He couldnt see and was stopped on the freeway in his Big Truck. I was headed in the opposite direction but I stopped by him and he said he couldnt see anything. I used my radio to guide him to the side of the road safely as he was in the right lane anyway. I also used channel 9 to call the State Troopers to come help him as there werent cell phones back then. Soon after a couple Local Yocals showed up to help him and they thanked me for stopping to help him. I just helped out a fellow citizen but didnt do anything special. Now that I look back at it maybe he felt better being off the road and knowing help was on the way.

WW1 Global !
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck

Post by 443 Arizona »

had a fire that burnt up a piece of equipment, started with a welding spark and quickly grew to a blaze. I put out the call on the CB and in 30 seconds the more than 20 people started showing up.
needless to say, the fire was put out.
the incident became a talking point for some time and many CB'ers met that day
, p.s. i forgot to mention this was back in the 70's.
De_Wildfire
Donor
Donor

Post by De_Wildfire »

That was a great deed and everyone pulling together. It probably saved a lot of damage and money if it spread.
443 Arizona
Mod Duck
Mod Duck

Post by 443 Arizona »

another time late at night i came upon an accident, a semi had hit a bridge on the hiway, i stopped sideways with my blinkies on, and put out a call on the CB.
then i proceeded to help