New antenna

This forum provides help with antenna installation, as well as guidance on selecting the right antenna for your radio or mobile setup.
fuzzr
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

New antenna

Post by fuzzr »

Just bought a new sirio gainmaster 1/2 wave antenna, any opinion's or tips welcomed.
Windwalker
Verified

Post by Windwalker »

That antenna says 500 watts continius which is a bit low. It also says frequency range 27.2 up to 30 mhz.
So it isnt meant to do most of the common CBRS channels. It starts at above channel 19 being 27.185.
It also says tuneable by cutting so be careful doing that.
With the limited power continius rating I think the antenna height will play an important role.
The Antron 99 is fibreglass just like this one with a similar length but tunes better to 11 meters.
In a nutshell I would definately run that antenna using a tuner to keep your radio happy as far as SWR...

WW
fuzzr
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by fuzzr »

Thank you, will keep that in mind.
Verified
Owner
Owner

Post by »

Hi @fuzzr

Congratulations on your new Sirio Gainmaster 1/2 wave antenna! It's a popular choice among CB radio enthusiasts. Here are some tips:
  • Installation: Ensure that you install the antenna correctly, following the manufacturer's instructions. Mount it as high as possible for better signal propagation.
  • Grounding: Proper grounding is crucial for antenna performance and safety. Use a good grounding system to prevent static discharge and lightning strikes.
  • SWR Tuning: Use an SWR meter to tune your antenna. Aim for an SWR reading as close to 1:1 as possible for optimal performance.
  • Coaxial Cable: Use high-quality coaxial cable to connect the antenna to your CB radio. The length of the cable should be kept as short as possible to minimize signal loss.
  • Maintenance: Regularly inspect your antenna for any damage, loose connections, or corrosion. Maintenance will help ensure it continues to perform well.
  • Safety: Be aware of safety precautions when dealing with antennas, especially when installing them at great heights. Always prioritize safety.
  • Testing: After installation, test the antenna's performance by communicating with other CB users. Adjust as needed to achieve the best reception and transmission.
  • Local Regulations: Check local regulations regarding antenna installations to ensure you are in compliance with any height or placement restrictions.

If you need specific information related to your CB radio setup, feel free to ask, and we'll do it best to help.

Donate here

fuzzr
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by fuzzr »

Well it seems that I may have made a mistake. After looking at windwalkers reply, I see there is a differance in freq. coverage between the 1/2 and 5/8 wave. I was going to get the 5/8 but its just to whippy for me. I didnt pay attention to the freq. differance. I am replacing a antron that I have had for years. Just want to get something a little better.
I have limited space and max height is gonna be about 30 feet from ground to base of antenna. I mostly talk local, but I also enjoy dx and sideband. The antron served me pretty well over the years, but it finally broke. So any ideas out there on a better antenna?
Windwalker
Verified

Post by Windwalker »

Fiberglass antennas are historically thin and fragile. The Antron 99 is no exception.
The 99 has tuning rings to make for a wider tunable frequency range to include 10 and 11 meters.
I used to run an Antron 99 and it worked well but I had to replace it twice due to breaking for any given reason.
Really it depends on what frequencies you talk on. With a tuner you usually can go from 3-30 mhz (skywave) and tune your SWR to a good reading with minimal power loss.
You will have to look around and figure out what antenna you like. I prefer the tried and true 1/4 wave whip.
Remember when it comes to antennas usually you can make them shorter but not longer.

WW
De_Wildfire
Donor
Donor

Post by De_Wildfire »

Congrats! I would use a tuner. I have an iMax 2000 with a tuner and works well from 15-10 meters. I let the antenna stay tuned from the factory. Just make sure you use the rubber tape to seal all your connections so water doesn't get in the coax and run down inside. You'll be fine. The 11 meter band is on fire with this solar cycle heading almost to the top.
fuzzr
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by fuzzr »

Update! Well after reviewing a lot more antennas again, I just ordered the gainmaster 5/8 since it covers more of the frequencies I will be using. So now I have two antennas coming, a 1/2 and a 5/8. I plan on returning the 1/2 when it arrives. I was rather wary of the 5/8 because its so whippy. The antenna will be mounted rather low and I plan on reenforcing the joints so hopefully I will be ok. I wish I wasn't limited on space, no guy wires no radials. I really didn't want to go with another antron, although the one I had did a good job for about 14 years. Thank all of you for your information and suggestions. I believe I will go coax shopping now. Hard to believe its been up there 14 years. thanks again.
Windwalker
Verified

Post by Windwalker »

When I had my Antron up I sealed the connections with a conductive electrical paste. I see they have mostly gone to tape not but the paste kept water out and reduced corosion in the connection all while being electrically conductive.
In short I prefer paste over tape.
The coax is common so I buy American made from this company.
american coax
They have quality products and great customer service.

WW
fuzzr
Mud-Duck Sr.
Mud-Duck Sr.

Post by fuzzr »

Yep, when I put this antron up, fourteen years ago I did the same. When I took it down a few days ago it was still there and pliable. I wish I could remember what brand it was, and where I got it. I will check the coax out, I want and have more faith in USA made products. thanks
MDYoungblood
Verified
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MDYoungblood »

I would like to know how it is doing for you. I have read a lot about the SirioGainmaster and years ago there were some mods out for it.

To me the power rating of 500W is fine, it is really the first 100 watts that matters and if you go SSB it doesn't effect the antenna like having a continuous AM carrier. The trick to most antennas is to get it up in the air, but that is mainly for talking local distances, when skip is running, height isn't a real factor, ie; how many times have you made a contact in a mobile.

Use of some type of anti corrosion material is excellent, I like a brand called "Stuf".

3's

Greg
"321, West Manchester Township, PA"

Official Moderator - CBRT Complaint Department